Simple Beginners Guide to Install Zorin OS Latest Version
LinuxBytes: Are you Planning to Install Zorin OS? Then check out the quick guide to install Zorin OS specially explained for users who are planning to switch from Windows or Mac to Linux.
Zorin OS is one of the best beginner-friendly Linux Distribution. It is a perfect choice for users who are thinking to explore the world of Linux. Zorin OS is a better Linux distribution for users who are taking a transition from Windows and Mac and is a good replacement for Windows and Mac, as it features the best of both.
The Ubuntu-based Linux distribution looks a lot more similar to Windows 10 and helps beginners to get familiarized with Linux world and makes the transition easy.
With all these upvotes Zorin OS emerged as a beginner-friendly Linux distro. You can try Zorin OS by installing it on your computer. The following guide details the step-by-step guide required to install Zorin OS on your PC. So follow the guide and enjoy the essence of Zorin OS.
Note: You can also try Zorin OS by using it from a Bootable USB drive or Live CD or you can install it inside VirtualBox and test its features.
Guide to Install Zorin OS
Before we proceed to learn how to install Zorin OS on your PC or Mac, you need to make sure that your computer meets the system requirements for Zorin OS. For smooth performance, it is better to try Zorin OS on a machine that meets the below minimum requirements.
System Requirements for Zorin OS 12 Ultimate, Business and Core:
|CPU||1 GHz Single Core|
|Storage||10 GB (Core) or 20 GB (Ultimate)|
|Display||800 × 600 resolution|
System Requirements for Zorin OS 12 Lite:
|CPU||700 MHz Single Core|
|Display||640 × 480 resolution|
If you are sure that your system meets the above requirements then proceed with the following guide.
Step 1: Backup Existing Data
If you don’t want to lose your existing data present on your computer we suggest you take a backup of important data to an external drive or transfer it to cloud storage to restore it later.
Step 2: Download Zorin OS 12
It is time to get a copy of the latest version of Zorin OS which is required to install Zorin OS. You need the ISO file the Zorin OS. The best thing about Linux distributions is that most of them are free to download and use. Unlike Windows and Mac OS, you don’t have to pay for using Linux distributions. Also, you can enjoy the latest updates and stay secure.
Zorin OS Core is available for free and you can download it from the official site of Zorin OS. While the Zorin OS Ultimate version is available at a minimal price of only €19 which offers a few more features than Zorin core and offers support.
You can click here to download the ISO file of Zorin OS Core by visiting the download page or click on below button.
Visit the download page and find the button to download Zorin Core. You will see a pop up asking you to choose between 64-Bit and 32-Bit.
Check your system architecture and download the respective version of Zorin OS 12 Core. The 64-bit version is recommended for most computers. Older machines with less than 2GB of RAM may only be compatible with the 32-bit version.
You can check the integrity of the downloaded ISO file by verifying that the checksum of your downloaded file matches the correct one, you can be sure that your copy of Zorin OS is not corrupted. QuickHash tool comes handy to verify the checksum.
Step 3: Creating a Bootable Drive
To install Zorin OS on your PC, you need to create an installation disk to install the OS to your machine. Creating an Installation or Bootable disk is very easy and you can do it using tools like UnetBootin, Rufus and Etcher. These tools help you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu and other Linux distributions without burning a CD. They can create a bootable Live USB drive.
You can choose any of the above tools. Functionality is a bit similar and they only differ in interface and features.
To create an installation disk follow the below instructions:
- Plugin the USB drive into your computer.
- Launch the tool you downloaded and select your USB drive from the “Device” list.
- Select “Disk or ISO image” from the “Boot selection” list.
- Click “SELECT/CHOOSE” to select your downloaded Zorin OS “.iso” file.
- Upon selection click on START to initiate the process.
This will take some time depending on the system processing power and once done your USB drive will be ready for booting into Zorin OS.
Step 4: Booting From USB Drive
By default, there will be a boot order that helps BIOS to load the OS. In order to install Zorin OS, you have to boot from the Bootable drive. The following steps will guide you through the process of booting from the USB drive.
- Plug in the USB Drive to your PC or Mac.
- Restart or turn on your computer and enter Boot Menu. You can do this by pressing either Esc Key or F12.
- Now you will enter the boot menu. From there choose the boot order from the boot menu and set USB as the first choice. Save your changes and restart your PC
- If you are using Mac after you hear the startup chime, press and hold the Option key. Now, select the USB install drive as the boot drive.
- This will take you to the Zorin OS welcome screen from where you can install Zorin OS to your PC or Mac.
- You can also try Zorin OS from the USB drive itself without installing it.
Step 5: Installing Zorin OS
If you like Zorin OS you can proceed with on-screen instruction to install Zorin OS. Zorin gives you an option to install Zorin OS along with your existing operating system or you can install it alone on your machine by completely wiping out previous OS instances.
To install double click on the “Install Zorin OS” icon on the desktop.
You should reach a step titled “Installation type“.
- If you want to keep your current operating system installed alongside Zorin OS: Select the “Install Zorin alongside [your other operating system]” option and press “Next” to choose how much space to allocate to Zorin OS.
- If you only want to have Zorin OS installed on your computer: Select the “Erase disk and install Zorin” option and press “Install Now”.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Troubleshooting Zorin OS Installation
The above guide will help you in installing Zorin OS without any hassles and issues. Most of the hardware drivers will be auto-detected. Sometimes you may face some issues with missing drivers, especially if you are trying Zorin on an old PC or low-end hardware. You may follow the below troubleshooting guide to learn how to solve missing drivers issues that were encountered during installation.
1. Wireless Connection Problems
This might be one of the common problems that users face while installing operating systems. In most cases, Zorin installs wizard will detect the Wireless network adapter drivers and install them during installation. But if you are not able to connect to a wireless network your computer’s wireless hardware may not be recognized in Zorin OS. You need to install the respective driver software to activate wireless hardware in Zorin OS. To do that follow the below guide
- Find out the manufacturer of your network adapter and download the necessary drivers from the company’s website.
- Open the file browser to find the downloaded driver file. The downloaded file should either be in the form of a “.exe” or a “.zip” file.
- Right-click on the file and select “Extract Here“.
- Open the Zorin Menu and go to “System Tools” > “Windows Wireless Drivers”.
- Click on “Install New Driver” and press the button beside the “Location:” label.
- Navigate to the extracted folder of the downloaded wireless driver and select the “.inf” file.
- Press “Install” to install the drivers for your wireless hardware.
- After the installation completes, you will need to restart your computer.
You should now be able to find and connect to wireless networks in Zorin OS.
2. Issues with Graphics Card
If you have an NVIDIA graphics card, you will need to install the manufacturer’s proprietary driver software in order to take advantage of its features in Zorin OS. Please make sure that you are connected to the Internet before installing these drivers.
- Open the Zorin Menu and go to “System Tools” > “Software & Updates”
- Navigate to the “Additional Drivers” tab.
- After a moment, you should see a list of graphics drivers available for your computer. Please select the radio button beside the latest version of the “NVIDIA binary driver” to activate this driver software.
- Click “Apply Changes“. This will start downloading and installing the NVIDIA proprietary drivers.
- After the installation completes, you will need to restart your computer.
Zorin OS should now start using the proprietary graphics drivers.
So this is how you can get your hands on Zorin OS. Follow this beginner-friendly guide to install Zorin OS and enjoy one of the most elegant Linux distribution that is a blend of most popular Windows OS and robust as Mac OS.
Zorin is a perfect choice for beginners and there is no doubt in it. So try Zorin and explore the world of Linux which has endless possibilities.